Monday 14 June 2010

Maps


Maps are going to be a big part of this. I'm not a great fan of GPS systems so it'll all be done using paper maps and good old fashioned route finding.

The shortest or easiest route is not necessarily the best one from my point of view. I have time and hopefully the inclination and I want to see the country.

In the words of Robert Frost:
"Two roads diverged in a wood,and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."


I've got 89 checkpoints to visit and I'm going to have to find some pretty out of the way places.

Not to say I haven't planned where they are and I'm not a total Luddite. Google earth has let me plot all the waypoints so they are easily viewed but I'll be relying heavily on the wonders of the British Ordanance Survey. I suspect most people don't realise how lucky we are in this country to have readily available, detailed and accurate maps of anywhere we want to go. A GPS will take you "To" and "From". A map lets you see what's on the journey.
Link to my google map.

No comments:

Post a Comment