Monday 19 July 2010


Today has been a bit of a stinker, enthusiastic rain all day. Checkpoint down near St Andrews was also a tricky one, the large volume of open golf related traffic notwithstanding. It is a tower up in some woodlands but you can't get to it without going on private estate roads.

I missed it the first time past because it ws hidden in rainclouds but if you look carefully on the picture, you can see the top part of the tower. Encountered the same rallyist I met at southport loking equally as impressed.

Came up to the North East area via Cairn o Mount, bit of a waste of time because most of the road was in low cloud.

Kept myself and me gear largely dry though and I'm camped up at a very nice site near Tarland, currently sat under my tarp on the mobile internet, there's no mobile phone coverage on my network though.

Thre is a certain satisfaction about being able to ride all day through weather like that and finishing the day warm and dry.

Heading up to Portsoy and Elgin tomorrow, hopefully going to wild camp somewhere around there or on Speyside if the weather is a bit more pleasant before heading over towards Glenshee. If it's going to be miserable again, I might try to find a bunkhouse somewhere near a pub.

As it is, at least the rain keeps the midges away.

Something I've noticed about campsites, there is always someone hammerng something. Now I've learned that if you can't push your tentpegs in, the ground is too hard to take a tentpeg. You can't hammer an aluminium peg through a stone. These people must all have tentpegs that resemble paperclips.

No comments:

Post a Comment