Sunday 22 August 2010

Got three checkpoints on the way East across the country after staying on the Baden Powell memorial campsite at Hertford. Met an Aussie couple starting a tour of Europe by bicycle so I gave them some tips on what wine and cider to buy as they pass through France. Probably the nicest of the club sites I've stayed at, plenty of room, lots of established, mature trees about which goes a long way to damping out the noise of kids tantrums and tentpegs beng hammered into oblivion.

One was a Dovecote at a big house with a walled garden that somewhat improbably has the road running right through the middle of their garden.

Next came a wellhead and pump outside a pub in Berkshire. They seem to be in the process of digging this one up but I found a sneaky additional pump round the back of the pub so I took a picture for good measure.

The third was a church clock at Wooton Rivers before camping up at the Bruce Arms pub campsite.

Next day and two more checkpoints, Claverton pumping station near bath and Kimbolton Dovecote in the vicinity of Stratford on Avon and another club campsite.

The Enfield had a minor tantrum, I noticed clouds of smoke when i stopped at some traffic lights. These were coming from a steady flow of oil blowing past the o-ring on the tappet inspection cover. A leaky o-ring aside, that part of the oil system shouldn't be under pressure so I should at worst have been getting a slight ooze of oil.

Simple solution, the crankcase breather hose had become kinked leading to a pressurised crankcase and oil leaks. After unkinking it, i noticed the idle speed increased and it climbed hills a lot better. I'll know what to look for if that happens again in future. New o-ring 50p from a car spares place.

I'm having a week off at Welsh Bicknor Youth Hostel. The plan is to go canoeing on the river Wye among other things before setting off again to do the South of England. Got all the checkpoints North of London now.

I'll post the pictures another time when I have a better internet connection, it's taking an interminably long time from where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment